Welcome to Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan's new website and updated Online Banking program.

Our History

Historical photo history

In 1887 Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan Association began its long and enduring history on N. Sandusky Street, serving the residents of Delaware, Ohio and the surrounding counties. Webster defines the word FIDELITY as “careful observance of duty or discharge of obligations”. In the by-laws ,the company stated its object in this manner: “The object of the Association is to raise money to be loaned among its members and depositors for use in buying lots, or in building or repairing houses, in holding, improving and acquiring freehold property, or other purposes.” After all of these years it may be truthfully said that Fidelity has lived up to the fullest meaning of its name and obligations.

Fidelity Federal is one of the oldest, continually operating businesses on Sandusky Street and has remained in the same block of N. Sandusky Street for it’s entire history. Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan is also one of the oldest savings and loans in the state of Ohio.

Timeline

  • In 1887 the Fidelity Building and Loan Company, now known as Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan Association, was organized.

History - 01History - 02

Photos courtesy of the Delaware County Historical Society

  • The first office was on the second floor of the Lambs’s Block Building, located at the northwest corner of W. Winter and North Sandusky Streets, above M.E. Wolff’s Beehive Store, later the Boston Store.

History - 03

Photos courtesy of the Delaware County Historical Society

  • In 1911 the building at 46 North Sandusky Street was purchased for an office site. At that time it was occupied by C.D. Young Jeweler, along with several rented upstairs offices. Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan, moved into its newly acquired property where it remained for the next 65 years.

History - 04History - 05History - 06

Photos from Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan archive and the Delaware County Historical Society

  • Fidelity Federal celebrated it’s 75th Anniversary with a three day open house and renovated office. 

History - 07History - 08

Photos from the Delaware Gazette – 1962

  • In 1975 the 80 year old former Delaware Hardware Store building at 60 North Sandusky Street was purchased from Howard Kraft for development of a much needed larger main office.

History - 09

Photo courtesy of the Delaware County Historical Society

  • Permission to expand also came in 1975. So it was not long until a branch office was opened at 30 Troy Road, within the Georgetowne Center.
  • Celebrations for Fidelity’s 90th year included a move to the renovated building at 60 North Sandusky Street, with Grand Opening Week celebrations in  June 1977.

History - 10History - 11

Photos from Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan Archives

  • As Fidelity Federal continued to grow and expand its services and product offerings the adjoining building at 58 North Sandusky Street, formerly a Sears Store was purchased. Fidelity would later renovate and expand into this space that it occupies today.

History - 12

Photo courtesy of the Delaware Historical Society.

  • In December 2008, after 33 years in the Georgetown Center, Fidelity moved its branch office to it’s current location at 1940 St. Rt. 37 W, Westfield Center. This allowed for full service banking at both the Main Office and the Branch locations.

History - 13History - 14

Photo from Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan Archive

  • Fidelity Federal completed an interior and exterior renovation project in 2016. This renovation created more back office work space, training rooms and updated lobby space with information screens, new seating areas and a coffee and refreshment station.

History - 15

  • Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan looks forward to continuing to provide local banking services to Delaware and its surrounding counties.

History - 16History - 17

Photo from Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan Archive

Historical Ads

History - 18History - 19History - 20

Historical Trivia – in 1887

  • Grover Cleveland was the 22nd president of the United States
  • Joseph B. Foraker was Governor of Ohio
  • Delaware County had a population of 27,189
  • Henri E. Buck was mayor of Delaware
  • Delaware City population was 8,000
  • Incorporators of Fidelity Federal were: H.J. McCullough, H.A. Welch, W. T. Gessner, J.D. VanDeman and B.W. Brown
  • Company officials were: B. W. Brown, President; Max Frank, Vice President; H.J. McCullough, Treasurer; J.D. VanDeman, Solicitor and C.O. Little, Secretary.
  • The Board of Directors, in addition to the Company officials included D.H. Battenfield, W.C. Jaynes, J.H. Smith and Professor J.H. Grove
  • Office rent for the office on the second floor of the Lamb’s Block Building was $32.50 per quarter
>Go To Top